There are presently no open calls for submissions.
NonfictioNOW Call for Panel Proposals
The NonfictioNOW conference, to be held 1–4 June 2017 in Reykjavik, Iceland, seeks panel proposals that bring together three to five people to engage with rich and vibrant nonfiction topics. Submissions are due 9 September 2016.
Suggested topics include, but are not restricted to, explorations of:
· nonfiction in translation
· nonfiction as translation
· nonfiction genres and their boundaries and tensions, including but not limited to: essay (personal, narrative, lyric, collage, interdisciplinary, etc.); memoir; immersion writing; history; biography; long-form journalism; travel writing; food writing; nonfiction poetry; sports writing; hybrids of fiction and nonfiction
· non-traditional forms of nonfiction, including but not limited to: performance, documentary, radio, video, hypertext, programmable media and graphic forms
· regional, national, and/or international characteristics and issues that are expressed through nonfiction genres
· threads of influence, style, and discourse, with a focus on important authors or on historical/cultural/theoretical trends
· the poetics of nonfiction
· representations of self and other in nonfiction
· We especially encourage international and culturally diverse panels.
· We encourage panels conceived as lively, discursive, playful and interactive – as against readings of a succession of individual papers.
· Individuals may appear on up to 3 panel proposals and may present on 2. If all 3 are accepted, they will have to drop off 1 of them.
· The conference cannot fund any presenters, but we will provide travel tips to make the trip more affordable.· After successful panels have been announced,
we will encourage meetups on Facebook’s Friends of NonfictioNOW page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/129840321129/), so that people without a panel can find
one, and panels with cancellations can fill them.
· To help facilitate international diversity, we will give preference to 3–4 member panels that indicate their willingness to include additional panellists.
· After final panel line-ups are settled, it will be the role of each panel Chair to finalise, confirm and coordinate panels, as well as provide final panel information for the conference program.
· Bear in mind when proposing discussion topics that after panel acceptances, we will open up a call for roundtable presentations (in Icelandic, húslestur), or fireside chats on:
o Truth in nonfiction
o Hybrid and multimedia forms
All proposals should include a panel title, 150-word précis, 150-word statement of merit, and 50-word, program-ready biographical note for each participant by 31 August 2016
The NonfictioNOW Board is a rotating group of writers and academics from around the world. Panel submissions will be assessed in a timely fashion by the Board, with every effort made to have final panels confirmed by the beginning of November.
NonfictioNOW Panel Proposal Document Should Include
150-word Precis (for conference program):
150-word statement of merit (tell us why this panel is important and should be accepted):
This panel has not been presented at AWP 2015/16/17 or at a previous NonfictioNOW: T / F
This panel is willing to accept additional panellists: Y / N
50-word Bio (for conference program):